Thursday, February 13, 2020

Marine Private First Class Carl Eugene Morgan


Marine Private First Class Carl Eugene "Gene" Morgan

born February 8, 1951
died August 3, 1969 (aged 18) Tam Kỳ, Quảng Nam, Vietnam
13 KM SE OF AN HOA AFLD 19690803
UTM grid reference is AT970390

buried Roselawn Gardens Of Memory, Decatur, Morgan County, Alabama, USA
Findagrave link
parents Charles and Eunice Ingram Morgan

Home of record - Decatur, AL
Austin High School

Boot Camp - Pendleton, San Diego CA
MOS - 0331 Machine Gunner
Unit - M Company, 3RD Battlion, 5TH MARINES, 1ST MARDIV, III MAF

Operations Pipestone Canyon, Durham Peak
Start Tour: 06/01/1969
Incident Date: 08/03/1969
Casualty Date: 08/03/1969



1. This is my rifle. 
There are many like it, but this one is mine. 
2. My rifle is my best friend. 
It is my life. 
I must master it as I must master my life. 
3. My rifle, without me, is useless. 
Without my rifle, I am useless. 
I must fire my rifle true. 
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. 
I must shoot him before he shoots me. 
I will. 
4. My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, 
the noise of our burst, 
nor the smoke we make. 
We know that it is the hits that count. 
We will hit. 
5. My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. 
Thus, I will learn it as a brother. 
I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, 
its parts, its accessories, 
its sights and its barrel. 
I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage 
as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. 
I will keep my rifle clean and ready. 
We will become part of each other. 
We will. 
6. Before God, I swear this creed. 
My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. 
We are the masters of our enemy. 
We are the saviors of my life. 
7. So be it, 
until victory is America's and there is no enemy, 
but peace!!









He served with Mike Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, 3rd MAF.

He was awarded The Combat Action Ribbon(CAR), The Purple Heart Medal for his combat related wounds, The Vietnam Service Medal, The Republic of Vietnam Campaign Service Medal, The National Defense Service Medal.

Marine Private First Class
Third Marine Amphibious


Combat Action Bar
Fifth Marines
First Marines











Find Marine Private First Class Carl Eugene Morgan on the Vietnam Memorial

Read more about the battle for freedom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Army First Lieutenant Morgan William Weed

Army first Lieutenant Morgan William Weed born January 2, 1945 died May 11, 1970 (aged 25) injured in Cambodia. Died in Vietnam burie...